Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Terrific Tuesday

So today was my first day of practice coaching my son's basketball team. It was so much fun and I really love feeling like I can move and run and show them things without dying. I am looking forward to getting to know this group of boys whose team name may be "Golden Dominators". I'll let ya know when votes are in!

After practice I went and met with my trainer (not really but I like calling her that). We sat down and talked shop...I wanted to know the scoop on tempo runs, pace runs, intervals, and long runs. I am always confused and not always sure what I am doing. She is the professional and very Biggest Loser "Jillianish" and I love hearing her thoughts. She can run a 5:45 mile....CRAZY I know.

Tempo Run example (4 miles) increasing speed
Mile 1 9:30
Mile 2 9:10
Mile 3 8:50
Mile 4 8:40
(just an example I have never ran a 8:40 mile)

HOWEVER
....tonight I did .25 intervals and was able to maintain an 8:20 mile for .25 mile. This seems to be a miracle!

Long Run
For me more than 8 miles at slower pace. She said it is about my feet on the ground not speed.

Pace Run
Typically ran at a 5K pace

So anyone who thinks "I could never do that"...think again. I was running OVER a 10:00 minute mile and dying and now year or so later I am seeing the low nines in my future. I try to remind myself that I just want to run but I do love a challenge! So start where you are and RUN RUN RUN! Tomorrow will be a new day and I am looking forward to it!

Lamentations 3:22-23
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed. For his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfullness.

What is your challenge this week? I would love to hear how it's going?

1 comment:

awana4mom said...

Did Santa bring you a Garmin for Christmas?!